Friday, May 15, 2009

Another Semester Ended

Well, I've come to the close of another semester in my continued efforts to get my BA in English. I started this quest in 2005 and now it looks like I'll graduate next May (2010). There are a few hurdles to jump through, though. See, I'm classified as a "transfer student" since I transferred many credits from my first round of college in the mid-to-late 80s.

The glitch is that the university for which I work requires that transfer students complete 45 hours at this university. So I was like, "What?! I have to take 15 more hours before I get a degree?" However, my dad, of all people, came up with an idea in a phone conversation several months ago. He said, "Can't you apply those 15 hours toward a Master's degree?" Hmm. Interesting thought. So, when I went to my advising appointment last month for the upcoming fall semester, I broached the subject with my advisor. He was very enthusiastic and told me I would be a great candidate for grad school. He then outlined the steps I would need to take to accomplish this.

I waited until I received my grade for the Mark Twain course this semester (an A! Woohoo!) until I discussed this with GH. For some odd reason, I thought he would bitch and moan about me using more of our time together to further my education. Boy, was I wrong! He was more excited at the prospect than I was!

So my next course of action will be to write a letter to request an exception to the Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to allow me to graduate with my BA next May and finish the remaining 15 hours applied to a Master's in English. If approved, I will then need to take the GRE (which one friend assured me would be time-consuming but not extremely difficult) and apply to the Graduate School, which will require three letters of recommendation from professors familiar with my work. I already have two professors who have committed to writing the letters. This summer will be interesting, indeed!

You may ask, "What does this have to do with MS?" I'll tell you. I feel that engaging my brain in analytical thinking on a regular basis really helps with my cognitive functions. Ergo, as long as I keep studying and reading with a purpose, I will hopefully stave off any attacks by my Dawson's Fingers on my cognitive functions.

Hopefully, I'll graduate with a Master's in English in 2015, maybe?

Peace,
Kelley

5 comments:

Lisa Emrich said...

That's such a cool plan. Those 15 hours should get you halfway to a Master's degree. Good for you!!

I took the GRE back when I was 20. Before hand, I worked through one of those thick study books and the test didn't seem to overwhelming. But now, the length of the testing would probably be a great challenge on the brain.

Diane said...

That is a great idea! Your dad is so smart. I often think of going back to school for a new career, but, I don't know what I want to do so I have a road block there.

I admire your hard work. Good Luck on the GRE!

Living Day to Day with Multiple Sclerosis said...

That is fantastic. If you have a chance stop by. I have an award for you.

~Erin~ said...

Hey Kelley,
Stop by my blog to pick up an award!
Take care,
Erin

Richie said...

Just for the joy of our wonderful heritage of language is the best reason to study! Good luck with the MA- better working all day on an MA than spend all day worrying about MS.
Well done with the A for Mark Twain- it has got me thinking about reading some of his again- I wish you every success and much pleasure in your study
Richie