Friday, December 5, 2008

The MRI of DOOM

Go to the start of my story: So it begins

Don't think I'm a pessimist due to the title of this post. I stole it from the House recaps at Television Without Pity. Bad stuff ALWAYS happens on House when the Patient of the Week has an MRI.

I went to the second MRI of my life on May 19, 2008. I had the first one in 2002 when I was experiencing numbness and tingling in my right arm. That MRI showed no abnormalities. I still felt pretty crappy, but the vertigo had subsided somewhat and I was no longer nauseated.

I arrived at the hospital and did all of the registration stuff. Once I was lying on the table/slide before entering the MRI of DOOM, the tech asked what music I would like to hear. I wasn't aware that they now offered CDs. Being the music lover I am, I asked for some Aretha Franklin. Of course, they didn't have that. So I blanked out and just said the first thing that came to mind, "OK, got any Beatles?" They did! So I slid into the tube and assumed the most comfortable position for lying motionless. Then the most effed up versions of Beatles songs began to play. I assumed they put on some compilation CD that had unreleased studio recordings or some such. Dudes, I have never taken acid in my life, but after the experience of listening to that weird stuff while in the MRI of DOOM, I think I have vicariously. That was messed up!

When I expected the nice technician to say that I was done, she fooled me. She said, "We're going to bring you out and inject some contrast dye." Uh-oh. That doesn't sound good. I start freaking out a little inside my head; this was around the same time that Ted Kennedy was diagnosed with a brain tumor. OMG, OMG, OMG! Long story short, I got shot up with contrast dye and endured another round of pictures with the bizarre Beatles music in my ears.

When it was all over, I had to just sit for awhile before my head felt like I could walk again. You don't realize how dizzy you can get from lying flat and motionless for a long time. Anyway, I finally left and found GH (the Goat-Hub) and related the experience to him. We made jokes and went along our merry way, awaiting the results.

Next, The Dreaded Phone Call

1 comment:

Lisa Emrich said...

hehe... that made me laugh, kelley.

For my MRIs, including the big fancy new machine at the local MRI center, there was no music. That is unless you count the music which I played for myself in my head.

I got through several horn concertos, some piano pieces my students had been practicing, and a variety of orchestral snippets. Some of the best mental concerts I've ever had.